2-Acrylamido-2-Methylpropane Sulfonic Acid: Production And Applications
CAS number 15214-89-8 2-Acrylamido 2-Methylpropane Sulfonic Acid is a reactive hydrophilic sulfonic acid acrylic monomer. It is used to change the chemical properties of a variety of anionic polymers. Today there are thousands of patents and publications regarding the use of AMPS in several areas like water treatment, oil fields, construction chemicals, hydrogels for medical applications, personal care products, emulsion coatings, adhesives and rheology modifiers.
How Is 2-Acrylamido-2-Methylpropane Sulfonic Acid Produced?
2-Acrylamido-2-Methylpropane Sulfonic Acid is produced by the ritter reaction of acrylonitrile with isobutylene in the presence of sulfuric acid and water. The recent patent literature describes the batch and continuous processes that produce amps monomer in high purity and with an improved yield (up to 89% based on isobutene) with the addition of liquid isobutene to an acrylonitrile/sulfuric acid/phosphoric acid at 40 degrees Celsius.
Applications Of 2-Acrylamido-2-Methylpropane Sulfonic Acid
2-acrylamido-2-methylpropane sulfonic acid has many applications which are given below:
1. Water Treatment: The cation stability of AMPS containing polymers are useful for water treatment processes. These polymers which have low molecular weights not only inhibit calcium, magnesium and silica scale in cooling towers and boilers but also prevent corrosion by dispersing iron oxide. High molecular weight polymers can be used to precipitate solids for the treatment of industrial effluents.
2. Oil Fields: Polymers in oil field applications need to withstand hostile environments and require thermal, hydrolytic stability and resistance to hard water that contains metal ions. For instance, in drilling operations where high salinity, high temperature and high pressure are present, atbs monomer can prevent fluid loss. These polymers can also be used in oil fields as scale inhibitors, friction reducers and water-control polymers and polymer flooding applications.
3. Construction: Superplasticizers with AMPS are used to reduce water in concrete formulations. The benefits of using AMPS in concrete include improved strength, workability and durability of the cement mixture. Redispersable polymer powder when AMPS is added to cement mixtures controls air pore content and prevents the accumulation of powders during the spray-drying process during the powder manufacturing and storage process. Coatings with amps monomer prevent calcium ions from forming as lime on concrete surfaces thus improving their appearance and durability.
4. Medical: High water absorbing and swelling capacity when AMPS is added to a hydrogel is key to various medical applications. AMPS added hydrogel also shows uniform conductivity, low electrical impedance, high cohesive strength and excellent skin adhesion. In addition, polymers derived from AMPS are used as an absorbing hydrogel and tackifier agent in wound dressings.
5. Detergents: AMPS enhances the washing performance of surfactants by binding multivalent cations and reducing dirt attachments.
Vinati Organics is the leading manufacturer and supplier of 2-Acrylamido-2-Methylpropane Sulfonic Acid in India. We supply it in a granule or powder form and depending on the molecular weight and performance characteristics desired, we offer it in 3 grades I.e., 2401, 2404 and 2406.
Since our inception 3 decades ago, our focus has always been on building an enterprise that manufactures products which serve the needs of clients across the globe. We have achieved it due to focusing on quality with patented process innovations that have helped us gain the trust of our varied clientele over the years.