General information and properties of TBA
TBA is a special monomer that belongs to the group of hydrophobic acrylamides. This chemical compound can be synthesized by Ritter Reaction and optimized using N-tert-butyl acetate and acetic acid. The molecular formula of this compound is C7H13NO. It has the appearance of a solid colourless powder and has a characteristic smell. TBA is often found in plastic and polymers.
Physical and chemical properties include:
|IUPAC Name:||N-tert-butyl prop-2-enamide|
|Melting Point:||127-130 °C|
|Molar Mass:||127.18 g / mol|
|Solubility:||4g / 100ml|
Synonyms: TBA; N-T-Butylacrylamide; N-Tert-Butylacrylamide; N-Acryloyl-Tert-Butylamine; Timtec-Bb Sbb008122;Acrylamide, N-Tert-Butyl-;N-(1,1-Dimethylethyl)-2-Propenamide; N-(1,1-Dimethylethyl)-2-Propenamide.
Uses in the Industry:
N-tertiary butyl acrylamide has a wide variety of applications in the industry. TBA is a temperature-sensitive monomer that can be potentially used in the immobilization of cells, drug delivery systems and dewatering of the proteins. TBA can be used in the production of poly(n-TBA) based copolymeric hydrogels for bovine serum albumin. It is also utilized in the study of abiotic anti-VEGF nanoparticles in antiangiogenic cancer therapy.
N-tertiary butyl acrylamide is a monomer that is used in the manufacturing of various polymers and as an intermediate in organic chemical synthesis. Other common applications of TBA include:
● Water Treatment Industry: TBA can be used as a ter-polymer along with ATBS and acrylic acid (AA). This ter-polymer can improve the efficiency of the water treatment process, reduce costs, and improve the overall water quality. It can also provide improved stability, improved solubility, and improved performance at different pH values.
● Paper Industry: TBA can be used as a retention aid in the Paper Industry. N-Tertiary butyl acrylamide based retention aid can improve the flocculating tendency of pulp fibres. It has also found uses in the contaminants and additives to inhibit the damage during drainage through proper machine wires or screens.
● Personal Care: Due to its hybrid craft polymer that has excellent curl retention even at high temperatures, it is used in a wide range of applications for volatile organic components (VOC) content.
● Thickeners: The copolymers of n-tertiary butyl acrylamide and Acrylic acid are used in thickening mixtures, aqueous solutions or systems that show high performance even under extreme PH conditions.
● Metalworking mist suppressant: TBA based polymeric anti-mist additives are known to reduce the mist of machine fluids at the source. It does so by stabilising them against break-up throughout the extreme sharp conditions that occur during metalworking operations.