SODIUM SALT OF 2-ACRYLAMIDO-2-METHYLPROPANE SULPHONIC ACID (NAATBS), CAS 5165-97-9
Vinati Organics Ltd is the leading producer and supplier of Sodium salt of 2-acrylamido-2-methylpropane sulphonic acid (CAS No. 5165-97-9) in India.
NAATBS is supplied as a solution. This solution is normally 50% liquified making it convenient to handle. Hence, it becomes easy to get desired flexibility in formulations to create high-performance polymers.
Depending on the polymerization molecular weight sought and the performance characteristics desired, sodium salt of ATBS is offered in 3 grades: 2403, 2405 and 2407.
Contact us now for further information or inquiries.
General Information and Properties of NaATBS
NaATBS is a chemical compound that is generally used by polymer manufacturers where it acts as a commoner along with other acrylic monomers like acrylamide and acrylic acid to produce polymers. Depending on the factors like co-monomer, concentrations, degree of polymerization, etc numerous polymers of NaATBS can be made. Other names of NAATBS are Sodium AMPS, 2-acrylamido-2-methylpropane sulphonic acid sodium salt and has a CAS number 5165-97-9.
||1.1 g/cm3 (15.6 °C)
||195 °C (383 °F; 468 K
||-25 °C °C
||110 °C °C
Industry Application and Uses
Sodium AMPS is used in emulsions for paint and paper coatings that improve scrub resistance, dispersant performance and reduce grit formation. It has also been used in acrylic fibre as it provides dye receptivity.
Other common industry applications of NAATBS include:
- Adhesives: The use of sodium AMPS in adhesives improves its strength in pressure-sensitive formulations and makes wood glue to improve adhesive strength and thermal and mechanical properties with superior rheology.
- Raw material for water treatment: NAATBS (CAS 5165-97-9) is used in the cooling tower and boilers, to inhibit Calcium, Magnesium and Silica scale formation. They are also used to precipitate solids in industrial and mining effluents.
- Hydrogels and super absorbents: The compound is superabsorbent in nature making it perfect for use in diapers, lotions and other personal care products. Their high water-absorbing capacity is also helpful in electrical conductivity, slipperiness and lubricity. Also used as a water retention agent.
- Textile auxiliaries: NAATBS is used as a textile sizing agent, thickener, dispersant and a non-woven emulsion binder.
- In cementing operations: Sodium AMPS is used as a non-retarding fluid loss control agent within deep high-temperature wells.
- Polymers to enhance oil recovery: 2-acrylamido-2-methyl propane sulfonic acid is used in oil field environments as scale inhibitors, friction reducers and water-control polymers, as well as in polymer flooding applications.
- Detergents and cleaners: NAATBS is used to enhance the cleaning efficiency of detergents and cleaners by improving hydrophilicity, dispersibility and lubricity.
- Construction chemicals: On the construction sites where conditions of high salinity, high temperature and high pressure are present, Sodium AMPS copolymers are used to inhibit fluid loss.